Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Wrong Genre?

I'm beginning to wonder if "The Vanishing of Owen Taylor" really is a mystery story. It seems determined to undermine the conventions of the genre. It starts slowly, sort of backing into Owen's disappearance as Jake tries to navigate Antony's legal troubles. And the events that happen on even Jake's first day in California take him back to his own time in jail and prison. Force him to face the fact that he hasn't honestly dealt with what happened and some of the things he did.

There are parts of the story that make me unsure, and nervous. And the timing of events seem to get tighter and faster as the story goes along...but it's like they're happening too quickly.

Maybe I'm pushing too hard to get it done. All without much thought. I slash through and then have to do a lot of rewriting. Which is what I'm doing it now. I'm stuck in the space between pages 200 and 250, trying to get it set up correctly.

Typical of me. Redo what I've done to death. Typical.

No comments: