Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, March 11, 2013

Hard to please...

I watched 10 minutes of "Superbad" and turned it off. It was so...uninteresting I just couldn't make myself waste any more time with it. Instead, I watched "Mrs. Miniver" on TCM. Hardly a romantic comedy and one of those Hollywood-style idealizations of life in England...but it holds together well in the British "Stiff Upper Lip" sort of way. Got nothing else done.

This day didn't start off right, anyway. I forgot to reset my alarm clock for DST and woke up 20 minutes before I had to be at work. I was only 5 minutes late, but it scrambled my brain at the job, too. I just wanted to sleep and drift and be lazy.

No...wait...I can't say the day was a total waste. I realized I'm missing an opportunity to dig deeper into Casey's past and motivations when Adam talks with Patricia in the kitchen, the morning after the party. I even set it up the night before. I need to explain Casey's connection to the book, and decide if she's the Queen of Hearts or the Mad Hatter (Adam being the Alice character...of a sort).

The script isn't tightly bound to the storyline of "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland"; I just reference it on occasion. Like calling Gertrude a Cheshire cat for being able to sneak over to Casey's home without being seen.

Wait...Adam calls Casey mad, near the end. She's the Hatter. I need to make her madder.

Now if I can just make this script work...

No comments: