Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Joy of rewrites...

Done with another draft of "The Alice '65". And I think I'm back up to 117 pages. But in order for me to make it seem like this is being seen instead of read, I'm using more space than I intended. But...there is a lot of white space on the pages, now. I'm told that's good for comedy. Besides, I got a DVD of "Superbad" from Netflix and that's 2 hours long! So I'm not worrying about the length, anymore...as if I honestly really ever did think I could.

Casey's still a bit too plain, but Adam's taken on a whole personality, as have Lando and Patricia. Even Veronica's grown more depth. However, Casey is the one who decided she goes for Lasagna instead of Rocky Road ice cream when she's upset. With meat filler, not just cheese. Bad girl, for Hollywood.

I heard a song on CFNY, The Edge, "It's Time" by Imagine Dragons, and it has a fantastic background bit of music that fits A65 perfectly. It almost sounds like a mandolin...but the whole feel of the song is right. I've finally found the music.

That has a lot to do with how I write -- hearing the music of the piece as I go along. It was "Invitation To The Dance" by Weber for "Delay En Route" and a blues song I wrote, myself, for "Blood Angel" and a Russian Military Marching Song for "KAZN". Things like that. They give me the rhythm of the piece, and when I don't have the music it's harder for me to get things right in the story.

Oh, man...I'm listening to a guy do an excellent rendition of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" on WFUV...and he just ruined it with a squawking cry of the chorus. Jeff Buckley's version is still the most exquisite.

No comments: