Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Pushing hard...

Another story's come roaring into my brain...well, a continuation of one I'd started a while back. About a guy who'll do anything for money. To say he's amoral would be an understatement; he has nothing in the way of human compassion or empathy, especially if it means padding his bank account.

I'm not sure how far I'll be able to take this character, but he is elbowing everybody aside to yell in my ear, "Pay attention!" And they don't like it.

I'm able to ignore him for the moment because Adam and Casey are working their magic, again. A65 now falls solidly into the romantic-comedy genre, with a touch of the screwball but not enough to matter so very much. Reading this book on gags and comedy routines, I'm catching on that jokes work better if they're set up, even in a screenplay.

For example, Adam makes a comment about Lando being named after a secondary character in "Star Wars". It's kind of cute...but was all alone, and letting Adam be a "Star Wars" person wasn't in the cards. He's not that sort of nerd. BUT...he has seen the movie and didn't mind it because it was "original"; whereas he refused to see Casey's movie, "Ilithim 4", because it's based on a classic work of Science Fiction and he didn't want to see the book desecrated. Then later, when he's told Lando's name, he can actually ask why someone would name their child after a character from "Star Wars". And it leads up to the back and forth between him and Lando.

I may fill in one more step up the rung of the set of comments, just to see if that adds anything. But now it's believable that Adam would spit that comment out in a moment of hurt and anger. The same thing is happening with Casey and Patricia. Haven't gotten to the point where Lando's being given the opportunity to add to the moments and his character, but I'm sure he'll hold his own.

So...even a book I don't think will help me is helping me; how weird is that?

I stopped by "Politics and Prose Bookstore" en route back to the hotel, this evening. They're an independent bookshop with a nice selection, and I just wanted to see if they had any of my books. They didn't, and actually let me know not even Ingram offers "The Lyons' Den" except through one warehouse. About what I expected.

Dammit.

No comments: