Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Ruh-roh...

I dropped my MacBook charger and now it won't put through a charge. It happened in a McDonald's as I was about to plug the three-prong extension into a wall socket. Nothing came through. I figured it was just the outlet didn't work, so did some stuff using the battery for power. Then I got to Baltimore-Washington Airport early so used up the rest of the juice waiting to be able to check-in. I brought home a box of books and a light-box so couldn't do anything till 4 hours prior to the flight.

But then I got through security, had something to eat (a burrito where the barbacoa was so salty, I almost couldn't finish it), and then settled down to use my laptop...and it still wouldn't charge. I tried three different outlets. I had to shut down because my battery was down to 2%. Looks like I'm making a trip to the Mac store, tomorrow. Dammit.

So...that meant I had nothing to do for 2 1/2 hours. I'd noticed Tina Fey's book, "Bossypants", available in a store, so I bought that to see how she worked being funny. I've read through page 151...and chuckled three times. It's got raves about how hilarious it is all over its cover -- USA Today, NY Times, LA Times, on and on -- but I was NOT in the least amused. $9 for a paperback and all I got out of it was how hard she's trying to be funny. Really, really trying hard. So much so, I honestly think my three chuckles were sympathy-oriented rather than tickles of my fancy.

Maybe I don't have a sense of humor. At least, not one that works today. One of the funniest bits ever, to me, was Danny Kaye's "The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true" bit from "The Court Jester". Word play well-played...in 1955.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm past my "Due Date."

No comments: