Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, March 4, 2013

Should I...shouldn't I...?

I'm at the stage in the writing of A65 where I'm wondering if I should just do a novelization of it so I can get a better hold of the story? And put in everything I want so I won't feel the need to slam it into the script. I want to tell this story as if the person reading it was actually seeing it, and my writing style is still too literary for that sort of scriptwriting.

Maybe I should do some quick, rough storyboards. I could get those done in the space of a month...maybe six weeks. Something quick and simple, like these...

These boards are from a horror script I wrote about a preacher who calls up a demon, hoping to prove to humanity the devil exists...

It works, and he agrees to have a demon walk the earth, wreaking death and destruction. But first he has to kill 5 innocent people...

...starting with the two girls here. The boy is the preacher's son, who's brought the girls to see how weird his father is.

In a perverse twist, the preacher soon realizes he is being made over into the demon. And that the Archangel Michael has been sent to stop him...in the person of a gay college student.

Anyway, doing boards for the first few pages helped me work out the images...but I still wrote them in too literary a style. I've been reading scripts and the shorthand in them irritates me, but is understandable. So...I changes my ways.

Let's see how long it lasts.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What about in first person? It has the feel of someone with a camera filming what's taking place. I think.

JamTheCat said...

Well...first person is my usual style of writing...so I'm definitely contemplating that. The script is damn close to being a first-person type, because Adam's in every single solitary scene. Greedy.