Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, June 29, 2013

"Anna Karenina" kicks butt...

Tolstoy's exquisite novel topped the list of best books put out by "Entertainment Weekly", this week. This cover is to the translation I read, and it works beautifully.

1. Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina (1878)

A staggering novel about an unhappily married Russian aristocrat who chases what she thinks is love at the expense of everything and everyone else. Novelists generally embrace tragic lovers, but Tolstoy was too hardcore for that. Anna Karenina is both a cautionary tale and an exhortation to live our best lives. There are novels on this list that are more perfectly engineered (No. 2 and No. 3, for instance). And there are definitely books that devote fewer pages to agrarianism (No. 2-No. 10). But Anna Karenina is an immersive contemplation of the heart and the conscience. Long before Oprah praised the novel, Dostoevsky, Faulkner, and Nabokov knelt before it in awe. We do too.

One of the few times I'm in total agreement with what is really a pretty superficial magazine. I'm not bothering to renew once the subscription's up; it's got little to offer my life, right now. But I am glad it's going out on this note.

I got nothin' else to say. Spent the evening restructuring what I did last night on OT. It's better but still not quite there. And there's been a huge blow-up between Jake and Tone that's got me upset and unsure how to handle it. I may need some space to let it settle.

I'll be in NYC from the 8th to the 11th or so of July, working. Then I'm off to Germany on the 20th. Then I'm not working the last two weeks of August. Maybe three. There goes my savings.

I need a better game plan for what's left of my life. The one I'm following sucks. Maybe having this time off will give me a chance to figure it out.

Maybe.

No comments: