Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Back on top...for now...

I wound up cutting about 2000 out of 68,000 words. Hardly 25% but a decent amount. OT reads a lot cleaner, now, and more focused without all that running around after Jake's arrested. I'll still need to go back through it to make certain everything holds together, but for the moment...I can move on.

I've redone to the point where Jake meets Lemm...

...the guy from Chile who could be on either side of this...and keeps bouncing back and forth between them, like a ping pong ball. I have no idea if he's going to be good or bad (or both, like Tone); won't know till the end of the book. He may even wind up being a killer. Or another murder victim...tho' that doesn't fit well with any of the characters. They like him too much.

The photo I'm using is of Bernardo Velasco, a model from Brazil. He's big in print ads for clothes and swimwear (wonder why), and has a happiness to his smile that's brutally engaging.

Lemm's back story feels a bit too formulaic, as does his willingness to talk to Jake. It's one thing for Dion to spill his guts; he and Jake have a history, and that past is tugging at them both. But Lemm would be more careful than that, unless he was tossing out lies.

So that will need to be worked out.

Still a lot to do on the story, but I'm feeling a bit of momentum, again. It's been a while.

No comments: