Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, June 14, 2013

I need a vacation...

...or at least some time off. This crap of working all day, all week, at a computer (except for the few days I'm off at a packing job), and then coming home to spend more time at a computer trying to write, then having to stop just as things are getting going because I have to get up in the morning to go back to work...it's beginning to shred me.

Problem is, if I don't work, I can't pay my bills or taxes. Self-employed means time off is on your dime. But it may be a case of putting the fucking bills off for a month and not giving a damn. I need to sweep my brain out and sort through my world of crap.

For example -- I went looking for my file of copyright registrations and couldn't find it. I know it's up here with me; I've had it out, before...but digging through my boxes of stuff, I had no idea where I'd put it. Same for my thumb drives -- I have so many duplications of files on them, I could probably clear 25% of the memory being used. It's ludicrous.

But that's what happens when you have two full-time  jobs -- which for me is writing and working at Caladex; the unimportant stuff just gets shoved out of the way...until it becomes important. Then you spend hours trying to figure out how to hell to handle it and find it and save it right, the next time.

I've never been the most organized of people. Hell, just follow my pattern of writing a book or script and you'll see how chaotic I can get. That anything ever comes together is a minor miracle. I'd ask God to send one down for my finances, but the fact that George W Bush is beginning to be thought of in a positive light is proof to me that he doesn't exist; if he did, that spawn of satan would've been sent back to hell, already.

I've put up everything I can for safe on Amazon and ebay. Maybe that will bring a little breathing room in, cash wise. And Kelly says that once he's settled in his job, he's going to start paying me back, which is more than anyone else I've lent money to has ever done.

Too bad I don't know anybody rich who can lend me $25K to pay everything off and still hop over to Ireland to veg by The Cliffs of Moher for a couple weeks.

4 comments:

Michael said...

I'm actually a super organized person to the point that it's borderline OCD. This is probably why writing comes so much easier to you. Creativity is supposed to be messy and chaotic and I'm still learning how to relax and just write without over-thinking it.

I would totally lend you $25k if I had it and join you in Ireland to veg.

JamTheCat said...

If "creativity is messy and chaotic", I'm fucking Michelangelo...except I'm not literally fucking him...though I'd love to have been around when he had his model for "David" and...okay, I'm in a weird mood.

Thanks for the thought. I'd love to spend time in Ireland with you. You could be "Jake" and, if I dropped 50 pounds, I could be crazy-assed Tone.

Michael said...

I have a weird crush on Michelangelo's David. I recall an ad campaign years ago that photoshopped a jock strap onto him and it was titled "Support The Arts" and I thought it was clever and kind of sexy.

The vacation sounds ideal. I'll get right on saving up that 25k.

JamTheCat said...

Don't blame you about "David".

I'll do my bit...which is slogging through the story to get it right. But I think I'm a lot closer after today...lots...

Now if I could just unlock the secret to getting my books to be bestsellers...