Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, January 30, 2014

You never know until you know...

Man...as I was calmly driving down the 25 from Santa Fe, en route to the new and lovely yet tedious airport at Albuquerque (just try and find a decent power plug in this joint), I damn near got thrown for a loop. I was vaguely worrying that Underground Guy and The Vanishing of Owen Taylor were starting to sound too similar in who the killer winds up being...and then Jake calmly pointed out that I already know who the killer really should be in OT; I was just ignoring it in hopes of making a big grand statement. I actually stopped the car on the freeway so I could write it down.

Jake don't like confusion or grand statements. He likes it simple and straightforward.

The super big deal about this is, it simplifies the ending of OT, majorly. I was slipping into having 3-4 endings and revelations at the finale and that was getting to be ludicrous. Now it's just one, with a semi-revelation to bolster it.

Sometimes I wonder if my characters conspire against me...or with me...or just like to mess with me...

No comments: