Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Bigger is cheaper

I finished the main prep for RIHC6 as a paperback, and it's going to be 342 pages long in an 8.5" by 5.5" format. About ¾ of an inch thick. And I can't charge less than 12.99 for it or I go into negative territory as regards printing costs and discounts to stores. Damn. But it's 127,000 words long, so...

Still, the original books were $17.95 each, so mine's about ⅓ the price for both books. Fortunately, e-books are easier to price...if not easier to publish. And I can get away with $1.99 for that version.

I really like how the story wraps up. Book 2 is on the James Bond side...hell, a lot on it, just with the lead bedding guys instead of every girl that comes his way. I bet if I changed Antony to Antoinette, this book would sell a million copies. Of course, Antony hates that idea, as does Jake...but it's fun to think about.

I may do that with Carli's Kills. I'm most comfortable writing in first person, and having the story told from the viewpoint of a woman who loves to fuck with men and fuck men over...that might be fun. I think I already have the opening:

Suicide is murder, and I'm not just talking self-murder. Way too many times people are flat-out driven to kill themselves -- by bullies, or financial stress, or abuse that's physical or emotional...or all of the above. My sister fit this last category, because she was driven to her death by some friends...and her rapists...and a system of justice that didn't give a damn about her. That's why I'm going to kill them all.

Boom-shacka-lacka...

No comments: