Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, March 17, 2014

Let the story write itself...

You can always edit to get rid of the triteness and redundancy...sort of. That's what I'm trying to do, now, with Underground Guy...and I got my 4 pages done, today. I'm up to over 23,000 words. And Devlin revealed more about himself...something I'm still a bit shaky about. But he's doing it in such a roundabout fashion, I can't even think about stopping him or diverting the storyline...not till I figure out what the hell he's up to.

So I watched The Farmer's Daughter, with Loretta Young, Joseph Cotton, Charles Bickford and Ethel Barrymore...and the very young James Arness and Lex Barker as Loretta's Swedish brothers. It's corny and cute and simplistic, but it shows even in 1947 evil white men in power were talking about limiting immigration and voting rights to WASP males, and politicians were demanding ludicrous things like forcing guys selling apples on a street corner to get a permit (during the Depression, a lot of people would actually stand on the street and sell apples for 2-5 cents each, to make enough money to eat and have a place to sleep), and the end to free milk programs in schools. Just listening to Paul Ryan yammer on and you'll see nothing's changed in the last 67 years.

What does that have to do with UG? Reminding myself you can make statements without being boring or depressing. So I'm trying to keep Dev's tone light...well, as light as it can be.

My brain's still buzzing from yesterday...but it worked in today's writing. Hopefully, it will factor in tomorrow's, too.

No comments: