Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Characters take over UG...

So much for Dev being a randy bastard who only thinks of his own gratification and inadvertently messes with the wrong man. His character is now driving the story, and it's as much about the past as it is about the present, and how sometimes...even when you think you've escaped a hideous situation, it's still with you...and sometimes dictates how you will react to other situations. Looks like the London stuff is just the spine upon which to build a character study of a man in transit from being one type of person to another, and not realizing it till it's done. Now I know why Dev cries during chapter one.

What helped illuminate this in my brain, finally, was a long conversation I had with a Facebook friend, in Orlando, this evening. Some of the things we talked about raised memories I'd kept locked away...and now think I should begin making use of. They're doing nothing but festering in the shadows, so they may as well come in handy for something. And Dev's perfectly happy to play with them.

Damn, he's turning out scary. What's good is, it's raised the game of the other characters in the story. He has a confrontation with a cop that I was initially having Dev win, in a small way. Changed it. Totally. It's going to be part of his learning process, now. He's also added a couple of years to his age, so now he is, without question, a man -- neither young nor old, and not yet middle-aged, but at that stage where he thinks he knows himself. He doesn't.

I want to know why this is happening right now. It started in London, at the beginning of January, when I saw "Reg" on the underground line and nearly lost control of myself. What is it about that guy that set this story off on the journey it wants to take? Was my writer's block an attempt to avoid dealing with something in this story that scares me or digs too deep, and I used the edit of FCB as my excuse? Shit, my brain's a muddle.

And now I'm getting a fucking headache...of course.

No comments: