Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Nothing new under the sun...

After adding several pages to Underground Guy and having the characters reveal aspects of themselves that make the whole premise different, I felt the need to watch The Little Foxes -- the Bette Davis - William Wyler version. On YouTube. It's in sections of 10 minutes each, a couple of which are not quite in sync...which usually drives me nuts, but I've seen the movie so many times it actually didn't matter to me.

The story is set in the South of 1900, where a trio of greedy siblings are willing to lie, cheat, steal and even kill in order to make themselves wealthier than they already are, and have no consciences whatsoever. Just like today, with the Koch brothers and their puppets. And just like King Lear and two of his daughters, written more than 400 years ago. If I knew more about the Greek classics, I'm sure I'd find the same story there, someplace...Agamemnon, maybe?

What happens? The innocent and good are destroyed, and the pigs get what they want, just not necessarily in the way that they want it. I have a feeling the end of Underground Guy is going to wind up the same way.

I'm sort of rambling about this because Colin, Dev's brother, has become a way into explaining Dev's actions and attitudes without Dev having to explain them. And Colin's wife, Caitlin, is also helping to set up the last half of the story in a way that I hadn't expected. It's also a doorway into showing how Dev is not as in control as he thinks...even as he continues to think he is.

What else happened is the story began setting Dev up as both villain and hero and victim. All at one time. I have no idea if that will work, but all I can do now is go with the flow.

Man...I set out to write a trashy erotic mystery and wind up working on a gay version of Crime and Punishment.

No comments: