Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Straight lines are tough...

I'm trying to write Underground Guy in a straight line, from beginning to end, now. I've got my plot-line to follow and just need to fill it in...but damn, it's proving to be hard. I got one whole page done, today, because I kept hopping back into the story to set things up better. That's expanded parts of the storyline...and shifted the plot a little...and hinted at softening Dev's character. I don't know how I feel about that.

I hope I haven't fallen too much in love with the idea of Dev being villain, hero, and victim, all at once...to where I'm fighting to keep him like that, to the detriment of where his character wants to go. But I can't tell, right now. I've got my ending written, sure, but it can change. And already has, once.

There's a growing viciousness beginning to shadow the story. Which I don't mind...and yet, do. And I'm still trying to figure out why Dev is caught in this particular book. I wonder if I could wind up making him the killer? I've read a couple of books like that, where you follow the lead as he investigates something and learn he was the one who did it all along. But that doesn't feel right.

Maybe I just need more sleep.

No comments: