Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Wasted time...

I spent much of the weekend going over the two books of Rape In Holding Cell 6 to begin prepping them for a single volume...and as I got to the final chapters of the second book, something seemed off. I'd noticed a number of typos as I was going and though I'd been an idiot for not seeing them...and then I hit a section of the book I knew was wrong. It was missing something. So I pulled out the paperback copy and read it...and realized I was working on an earlier draft of the books.

In short, everything I'd done all weekend had not only already been done, but sections where I'd avoided making changes because I thought this is how it'd gone out actually had been changed. So I now need to start from scratch and redo the whole thing, using the latest-bestest version.

This is what happens when you have too many flash-drives with copies of everything spread across them. One of these years I need to go through the damn things and get rid of the redundancy that keeps proving it's not really redundant.

That said, RIHC6 holds up well...even though I think I over-explained Antony's actions as he was going along...though that sort of worked for his mind-set. It's also helped me see some plot problems within The Vanishing of Owen Taylor. What's funny is, that book may wind up being the finale of RIHC6, after all.

Oh, well...the weekend wasn't a complete waste. I found this --
So...how DO you solve a problem like Maria?

No comments: