Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

My favorite film, bar none.


Jean-Pierre LĂ©aud gave one of cinema's great performances in Francois Truffaut's Les Quatre Cents Coups...and this audition tape shows why. I have the entire Antoine Doinel series on DVD, and haven't been without a copy since it was released on video. I've seen it probably a hundred times, on TV, in theaters, even on my laptop, once...and I keep finding new aspects to it.

I hope I always will...even if I view it another hundred.

UPDATE:
I noticed this is the longer, unsubtitled version of the clip. Here is the subtitled edition.

FYI, if you watch the all-French version, the boy Jean-Pierre interacts with in the second segment wound up paying his friend, Rene, and the kid who sings like a Frenchman in the last couple clips has a bit where he sneaks off to play hookie while thinking of a jazz song...and I'm pretty sure it's the same boy who messes up his composition book so completely near the beginning.

No comments: