Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Disruptions...

I've had trouble getting to sleep, the last couple of days, which is unusual for me. Normally, the second my head hits the pillow...I'm gone. But I didn't get lost in slumber till after 4am, this morning, and woke, again, at 6am then crashed and slept till 1pm. NOT good.

I don't know what's going on, but most of it boils down to me not being able to shut my mind down. And none of my usual tricks work -- like naming all the Best Actor Oscar winners from 1928 on. That's the same as counting sheep, to me. So tonight I'm shutting down the writing early and sitting in a hot bath.

I'm also deliberately rewriting just a few chapters at a time on OT. That way I don't get carried away with the sweep of it, so easily. And by "sweep" what I mean is the flow of the story. It's sneaky how, when I'm rewriting, I get lost in trying to tell the story better but lose sight of how I'm doing that. I can already tell by the end of the second chapter that I'm having problems eliminating adjectives and "ing" words and have to refocus. So...I now have it taped to my laptop -- kill the bastards.

Hopefully, I'll pay attention.

No comments: