Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Perception is everything...

Be it in anything.
I've had a ladybug wandering all over my desk, the last few days. Just whispering along, staying warm under my lamps. Sometimes resting on a sheet of paper, sometimes on a paper napkin I have folded and to one side, sometimes on my keyboard.

But this evening, my hands were still wet from doing dishes when I sat at my computer, and she crawled on to my finger. She proceeded to drink the water still there, then did a few circles and grew still for at least half an hour. I had no problem adjusting my actions to keep from crushing her. Guess she was thirsty.

At the same time, I trapped a fly under a jar to stop its buzzing around. Normally I kill the damn things because they irritate me as much as cockroaches, fleas and ticks, but for some reason I just couldn't. The ladybug had wandered off, again, and I didn't feel like ending any living creature's life, just then...so I slung it out into the hallway. But if it comes back, tomorrow...

Flies aren't all that different from ladybugs. They're both insects...but ladybugs are fun to be around while flies could go extinct and I would not be the least bit sorry.

Looks like I'm going to be dragged into the current world despite myself. I just joined up with Skype, which has been around for a while, to video-conference with a script doctor over "Return To Darian's Point." We're set for Sunday evening...and it's going to be hard to keep the appointment. A job I'm doing -- packing and shipping what I thought was 750 books -- just doubled in size and increased in scope. So the time I've allotted for it will not be enough. Instead of Sunday being a down day, I'll be working and may have to push back my trip to LA. Ugh!

Hope there's a Starbuck's nearby so I can take a break.

No comments: