Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, April 2, 2016

Proofing done on OT

I'm finally finished with the page by page proofing I was doing, backwards. Now comes polishing the layout so it looks good. Word has its limits when it comes to that. Sometimes it forgets where I've set margins for the headers, by maybe 1/4 of an inch. Sometimes it reworks the spacing between lines. I have yet to figure out how to get a consistent number of lines per page; I'll hit YouTube about that, tomorrow.

I'm working the layout for both the hardcover and paperback at the same time, so if any changes get made they're consistent between the two formats. And I need to write up a nice biography and get a photo of me to put in the back of the books. I've also got to finalize the number of pages so I can inform Bowker and get the Library of Congress card set up, not to mention the Table of Contents for each version. Lots of detail, still, that's fer dang sure.

The hardcover edition, which will be 6x9 inches, is about 300 pages of story; the paperback is about 365; it's 5.5x8.5.  I have the front cover of the paperback all set; I just need to work out the spine and back cover. After that come the proofs of each version; that is all but a requirement if you want to make certain the books will look right. Then will come the e-book, which is a completely different format. No pagination, for example, and only a front cover.

I had hot cocoa to celebrate getting to the end of this. Yeah, really exciting...and a bit of a mistake. The mix I used was really sweet and my stomach is not happy with it. So in a way...I lived dangerously.

It's April 2nd and my car has 1/4 inch of snow on it, right now. It's the end of the world.

No comments: