Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Proofing be hard-ish-er

Man...going backwards page by page to check for typos and such is not as easy as I thought it would be. I can do it for about 3 hours then my brain starts to melt. I've only got about 150 pages left to do, but my head and eyes hurt, so I had to stop. How people can do this for a living is beyond me.

Looks like I may have a week-long job beginning April 18th, which will cut in severely with my pace to publish OT before the end of the month, so I may shift back to doing the paperback, first. I did a quick reformat to see what it would be like in an 5.5 by 8.5 inch book, and that dropped the page count down to about 290. Plus a paperback cover is easier to work up. So...change of plans...

I can do the e-book on the road. That's pretty straightforward; I just need to link the table of contents to the heading of each chapter and drop the page breaks. Then save it into a PDF and send it off to Smashwords. They're easy to work with.

Looks like Next is missing out. I don't have the time to finish the storyboards, not to the level I'd like. I'm still not 100% on the script, yet, either. It'd have been a fun little project, especially in showing how to make a man walk on the side of a wall without needing harnesses and cushions and such. It's fun to work out cheap ways to make things look expensive.

I had Dair's Window (a drama about a gay man rebuilding his life after his lover dies) turned down by a producer because he thought it would necessitate a trip to Tokyo to shoot, at the end, and he didn't want to go through the expense and hassle. Even after I told him it wouldn't be required, that there were easy ways to keep the full shoot in Southern California, even though it's set mainly in a mountain town outside Seattle ... he couldn't see how.

I even explained -- use stock footage of Tokyo and, when Dair (the lead character) is riding through the streets in a cab, have that reflected in the taxi's windows, then dress a building in LA's Little Tokyo to be in Japan, flip the image in editing so the cars are right drive, and have Dair cross the street as a couple of Japanese extras pass him by, people will accept it. Nope, "Shooting in Tokyo's too damned expensive."

Which is nonsense, since all it takes is imagination and a willingness to think outside the box.

No comments: