Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, March 21, 2016

Back to the USA...

Good trip, overall. The job went a lot better than I expected and I got time enough to drive out to Galway and The Cliffs of Moher, as was made evident by the previous post.

 Galway's old town area has changed very little since I was last there. This photo pretty much matches one I took in 2002, over by the Cathedral. In Return to Darian's Point, this is where Perri comes to understand what's really been going on in his life.

This was the basic weather around the Cliffs when I arrived, and down between the outcropping and the shore is a tour boat that leaves from Doolin, just up the coast. I almost chose to do that, instead of going to the top...and probably will the next time I'm there.

You can't tell from this photo, but in the distance you can almost make out the Aran Island of Inish Oirr, about a quarter of the way from the top. When I get home I may see if Photoshop will help me bring that out, better.

The area's been built up a bit, since my last visit. That ledge in the middle left of the photo used to be open to anyone, and you walked up to the tower over slate steps built into the hill's edge. It's been tamed, a bit...and is almost sad.

This is how everything looks once the crowds are gone. Stragglers jump the retaining walls and wander about, at will. no guards to yell at you. No one to keep you from being a fool.

I got there half an hour before closing and stayed for an hour past, without realizing it...and it led me into a calming of sorts. The mystical beauty of the place finally took hold and I drifted back to my car, in no hurry, anymore.

I feel so right about this magical place...

No comments: