Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, March 27, 2016

OT is taking over

I spent most of the day working on the formatting for OT, so I can start the process of publishing it. A normal hardcover book is 6x9 inches, so I've adjusted everything into that size. I'm also working up the headers with the page numbers, and prepping the opening pages. To make them look like the formatting in other books is a chore and a half. I assigned ISBN numbers and now need to finalize the page count so I can set up the Library of Congress card.

As I go through, I'm still finding little typos -- like a quotation mark missing or the wrong word in a spot or even repeating a word. I'm also finding I'll need to go through the book with care so I don't have anything that looks awkward -- like ." being the only item on a line because it comes after a dash.

I'm still trying to figure out how to make the line count uniform for each page. Word doesn't like to split up 2 or 3 line paragraphs to go from one page to the next; it just shifts the full paragraph on. I thought the "widows and orphans" box controlled that, but it did nothing when I un-ticked it. Maybe I'll troll You Tube to see if anyone has any ideas. That helped me work out my headers issues.

So now I've got a nice headache and my eyes hate me. Nothing was done on Next, today. I've got the feeling if I want to publish OT before the end of next month, I'll have to focus completely on that. We'll see how this goes, for now. I just want to finish it and have it out there.

It's time...and about damned time...

No comments: