Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Final polish

I'm checking over OT by going backwards through the story, one page at a time...and it's helping, a lot. I don't get caught up in the story or characters anywhere near as much, and I'm finding little typos and ways of making the moments work better as I go along, not to mention making the formatting look better. Only thing is, it's slow going. But once it's done, I'll know how many pages the book is and can get started on setting it up to be published. I'm currently at 320 pages, thanks to using Palatino in a 10 point font.

As of now, I'm planning on a limited run of hardcovers, signed and numbered. Then I'll do the paperback and e-book versions. I'm thinking of doing the same thing for Bobby Carapisi, just to do it. But I want to see how this goes, first. Hardcover is a lot more involved and I want to make sure it's done right.

I don't know if I'll do a regular hardcover of OT.  It's going to price out at nearly $30 a copy, and I can't see people spending that kind of money for an unknown author, even if it is a mystery. It's also a lot more than a mystery, when it comes to character study and Jake's journey. Maybe I'll do some advance copies in trade paperback, to see if there's a market for it in the mystery book shops.

I'm going to do a lot more in the way of pushing the book, however, so I need to work out a plan. Since I subscribe to Writer's Digest, I've got access to a lot of information on selling a self-published book and there are also seminars on Stage 32 and via a few other sites I belong to. It'll be a learning experience.

Like everything in my life has been.

No comments: