Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, March 25, 2016

So...here we go...

I've got a good portion of the storyboards worked up for Next, and a quirky style is developing from that...except something's missing from the story. Granted it's only 6 pages long, but it doesn't really go anywhere. It just sort of sits there.

Initially, Federika was Federic, and he was Clint's wing man. But that seemed obvious and derivative, so I figured making him a her but with the same basic story would be off-beat enough for this competition. Didn't work, really. Now I'm trying to figure out what went wrong.

I thought about making Eva the werewolf and Clint her victim...but I don't like that, so much, either. I guess I'll take it back to being two guys out on the prowl, and drop the idea that Eva's a cat woman. Maybe that's what's making it too derivative and obvious. Means redoing some of my storyboards, but it has to be a good submission...no a fan-fucking-tastic one, if I want to have even a chance of winning.

Good thing is, I don't have to submit a script, yet; just a 350 word+ treatment and the storyboards...which would be dependent on the script, so that's on the moot point side. I also have to select some music to use with it. All by April 4th.

This contest is put up by Musicbed Film Initiative. You get cash and credits for equipment rentals and post facilities...up to $40,000. That's not a lot to shoot a film, these days, even a short one. I'd be open to trying it and making some of the difference up, myself. Blow my tax money, maybe. But it has to kick ass or it's a total waste of time and effort.

So I really need to find the spark that makes it work, again...or just not do it.

No comments: