Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, May 1, 2016

Facebook ads are nonsense...

I set up a Facebook page for The Vanishing of Owen Taylor and added a small advertising budget for it. Just to see if things would be different from the last time I did this. Back then, I tried to get interest going for David Martin and The Lyons' Den. So far as I can tell, all I got was clicks on the ad from people in India, Thailand, South America, maybe Africa but I won't swear to that, and no sales from any of those places.

Well...it's the exact same thing, again. People from everywhere except my main markets -- the US, Canada, UK, Europe, Japan -- are clicking on the ad and I'm getting charged for it, but they will never buy my book. I think they do it because it gives them points or money if they do enough of them. I dunno. I just know Facebook ads are a crock.

Fortunately, I also limited the amount of time on it, so after 7 days the ad ends and the charges stop...and the clicks and "likes" will also end. Just like they did for DM and LD.

You have to wonder how Facebook gets away with this.

No comments: