Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, April 8, 2018

Weird day....

It started off when I woke myself from a nice dream. I was in a waiting area for like a plane or train or maybe prepping for a crowd scene in a movie, sitting across from Russell Tovey, and it was so tight the only space for our legs was between each other's -- sort of a left, right, right, left situation -- when we were called and he looked to his right -- and I woke myself up by biting the side of my tongue. Dunno what it means in Freudian terms; just know it hurt like shit, and I had to be careful the rest of the day and keep rinsing my mouth because if I don't I'll get a sore. I'm prone to those.

Anyway, it set the day off wrong, so after more than an hour of emails and facebook and news and sorting through crap and dusting and rearranging shit to try and handle myself, I decided to issue David Martin in a hardback. Not sure why I settled on that, but I got to work and have it pretty much ready.

It'll be 6x9 inches with a glossy cover pasted over boards in a slim volume...1/2 inch thick. It didn't take a lot of reworking, but I made it appear a lot better than the paperback. Its sales have died so maybe this will help them. I also submitted it to the Library of Congress for a Preassigned Control Number, and this time I'm waiting till I hear back from them before I add anything to the copyright page.

But as a hardcover, it would work well for libraries, and since they won't take paperbacks as small as the one I issued, I can start hitting them to see if they'd buy a copy. Thing is, it's $16.99 for an 88 page book...but it will look very classy.

That did set me right, again, so I watched a BBC Mystery called Shetland, set on the Shetland Islands north of Scotland, and liked it. What's interesting is, the voices for Place of Safety began whispering in my ear, during it...this time with an aspect of one character's life that I really don't want to go near. But for me to do this right, I'll have to...and have to figure out a way of making it work without painting the character as sick and diseased.

Thing is, it's been so long since I dug into that phase of the story, I don't even remember the character's name...and it creeps me out when someone I think I know comes up and starts telling me secret things when I haven't figured out who he is, yet. I need to revisit my character list...or maybe even see if I have one. I can't say for sure. But what it boils down to is...yes, I do hear voices...so don't fuck with me.

Unless you're Russell Tovey.

No comments: