Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, July 30, 2018

The return of Kyle's brain...

Had a visit to the doctor, this morning, to get my knee checked...and I've got water in there. Well, fluid. I've had X-rays taken and I'm seeing an orthopedic surgeon Thursday, next week, to have it checked to make sure and maybe drain it and shoot it up with shit and to have this come to me on the day before I'm officially a Senior Citizen is infuriating. Which is good...

Being pissed helped me get past a block and figure out the structure of an important moment in APoS after Brendan returns. He's under an alias because the British were once looking for him, to interrogate about the bomb at Joanna's father's shop, so he's using a friend's identity to hide behind while visiting his mother on her deathbed.

But...it's not completely believable no one would recognize him unless he told them what he's doing. Then they'd go along, just to spite the Brits and RUC. A few are doing exactly that, adding to his cover, but suspicion is building. Then, after an argument with someone who's accused him of being weak and cowardly for not staying to help with the fight, Brendan is storming back home when he hears someone call him by an old nickname -- "Me China" -- and turns without thinking...and it's Billy, an old Protestant friend who's now a constable with the RUC. Blows his cover, completely.

That's when things snowball into hell, for him.

Getting the first draft of that down relaxed me in ways I cannot begin to explain. I even felt good enough to watch the last two episodes of Season 4 of Shetland. They weren't offered when I watched the first 4 episodes and I complained about it. Britbox insisted they were there, and when I went to look, finally, they were. Don't know why they didn't show when I was bingeing on the show, week before last, but saw them through.

What's interesting is, I'd already figured out some of the subplots in the story, but not who the killer was until I read a synopsis; the information that leads to the killer wasn't given till episode 6. But this time, the mystery was solid and the acting rocked, so I still got caught up in the story.

This was, effectively, a 6 hour movie they shot. Meaning the script must've been a total of 360 pages. I guess that's really a miniseries, for TV...but didn't feel like it. Douglas Henshall as the DCI investigating the murders is a solid, subtle actor...and he was met...hell, almost outclassed...by Mark Bonnar, as an old friend and possible suspect. But Doug still has an edge -- he was in this brilliant adaptation of Anna Karenina back in 1999, as Levin! I kept thinking he looked vaguely familiar...and that was it.

His Levin was perfection.

No comments: