Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, May 18, 2019

Finished one job, one more to go...

I packed a nice collection of original books by Josephus, in Kansas City. There wound up being more than I expected, so it took me working from 8-6 Thursday and 9-11 Friday to get it done, but I popped them over to a crating facility and had the afternoon free.

So I went to the Hallmark Visitors Center just outside downtown. Watched a slick movie about JC Hall, who started the company, and how it's still run by the same family. Of course there were the usual supremely sweet exhibits, but there were also...
...Original works by Norman Rockwell, who also made a lot of artwork for the company. This one was in response to a devastating flood in 1951, meant to show the city's spirit...
...And something I hadn't realized -- they also have original works by Winston Churchill. Apparently they even se up a traveling exhibit of his work, once he'd retired and begun painting in earnest.
I knew he'd painted but didn't realize how accomplished he was.
Then I took a quick trip to Independence, MO to visit the Harry Truman Library...and while it was interesting it was a bit too bland. Just a lot of info like you'd find in history books. Nothing surprising, even in the gift center.

So...now guess where my second job is happening...

No comments: