Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, May 27, 2019

Beginning to come together, finally...

I spent the holiday weekend working on the audio slide show for A65...and it's finally working for me. Carrie Armstrong's doing the read and she has a nice storytelling voice. Very comfortable. Parts were just right, but there were hesitations and skipped words, here and there...still nothing major. I also found I left out a word at an important moment, but it didn't really change anything so I'm not going to freak over it.

Instead, I went through the audio word by word and made notes, mainly asking Carrie to try to make her renditions of the British dialogue more consistent. I suggested she do each character's comments in one straight shot then have it plugged in where it belongs. To be honest, I don't know if she can get that done, but it never hurts to ask.

I also clued her in on who to use for the dialogue -- Daniel Radcliffe in Harry Potter for Adam, Trevor Howard in The Third Man for Vincent, and Michelle Dockery in Downton Abbey for Elizabeth. The latter two aren't 100% but close enough...and as noted, long ago, having Daniel Radcliffe as Adam would be most excellent...

What's interesting is how reading it over and over and comparing what I'd already done in images to her read changed everything. I'm now up to 60 frames for a 10:25 minute piece, and feel this is truly as close as I can get it without scriptwriting it, again. So today I began working them into something more like a storyboard than rough sketch.

I'm going to try and do the first image as a pan down...

Then I have Adam heading out...

Then he gets to Epping Station, reads on the tube and exits at St. Pancras.

This feels like movement and provides a good connection to Adam as he heads for a new horizon, even though he doesn't know it, yet. I've been raiding all my photos of trips to London and the UK for backgrounds. They aren't in beautiful color, but this works just as well.

And they fit in with Carrie's comfortable storytelling.

No comments: