Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, May 9, 2019

MFSOB...

I am so fucking pissed at myself. I spent days trying to get this one frame of A65's right...coloring it, adding details, adjusting, erasing, shadowing, deepening to the point of overdoing it, staring at it trying to understand what was wrong...and it stayed wrong. It was all fucking wrong. It's not the layout of the image and what I've done with it that's wrong...it's the feel of it. It's like I'm putting distance between Adam and the reader.

My initial sketch for this bit focused more on Adam, but cut back and forth between him in another cityscape and him seeing the college and that wasn't right, either. Then I found the perfect look for Merryton College and went all squirrel and lost sight of how he's the center of the story. The whole book is from his POV and I wanted to keep that sense, even in these minimal sketches.

I checked through and everywhere else I did keep his POV, fortunately, so it was just this frame flipping me off. Now I need to come up with a better layout for it after wasting so damn much time on it. One that will add to the moment instead of simply reflect it.

I do like the castle I used as the model for Merryton. I may keep the gate. But my idea, now, is to have Adam approaching and show where he's going from over his right shoulder. Include the entrance to the chapel...maybe just beyond the gate. Add some buildings and students or something...if there's room. I dunno.

But there goes my Saturday.

No comments: