Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, May 18, 2015

Back to before...


I've dug into The Vanishing of Owen Taylor, again, and the time away from it has been good, actually. I've already noticed a couple of spots where I say the same thing twice, just in a slightly different way each time. Not needed.

But overall, the first 86 pages are mainly like I want them. I'm up to where Jake's in Palm Springs and about to have his first run-in with the cops. It's later in the story that I'll need to make corrections. A fair number of them, too.

I got my information back from the Riverside DA's office, finally, and I've gone too TV-DA in some spots. Plus one bit with a judge will no longer work because it's just plain nonsense...which I hate, because I liked it. But it flat out would not happen the way I have it...dammit.

I'm also putting the local DA's office in its new building, behind the Larsen Center and across from the new jail. I've taken too long to pull the story together, and I don't want it to be dated before it's even out there. Oh, well. My own damn fault.

It's been over 4 years 3 years since I published a new book...not counting David Martin. That's really more of a novella telling a fable. Nor do I count French Connection Blues (or NYPD Blood, as it was initially called) because that was not mine, officially, and the initial edition was a fiasco...which I, fortunately, had little to do with. Or unfortunately...because I like the new version's look a lot more, so maybe that's how it should have been from the outset.

Who knows, anymore?

2 comments:

Michael said...

I cannot believe it's been four years!

JamTheCat said...

Oops, you're right -- it hasn't. I can't count. "The Lyons' Den" came out in April 2012. I submitted it to STARbooks Press in June 2011 and gave them the final draft at the end of August 2011. So it's not really 4 years since I had a book published; it's just 4 years since I completed one to be published.