Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, May 11, 2015

Okay enough to polish...

I've got Marked For Death down to 102 pages, and may be able to remove another page or two. So far the ending has everything I want in it...but it feels busy instead of exciting or suspenseful. And the explanation is still long and wordy, even though I cut it up with flashbacks to show what's happening. I also think I'm missing a crucial image...but I have to think about that; I have no idea where I'd put it.

I wonder if I should show it all in one sequence, as little dialogue as possible, then return to everyone at the marina? More voice-over? More food for thought as I do another packing job in NYC. But as it currently stands, I'm not 100% on it.

Right now, I'm torn between working on Underground Guy or Carly's Kills. UG is going to be close to prurient while CK is a vicious script, but more in the vein of Faster, Pussycat, Kill, Kill than Kill Bill. Carly's not going to be some slim blond who knows martial arts better than The Karate Kid's teacher.

I kind of miss the whole exploitation series of movies that came out in the 60s and 70s. Tacky things that had no redeeming value beyond how far they were willing to push the envelope. Maybe I'll go to the Canadian Niagara Falls and have dinner and watch the water crash down to its next level and let my mind drift until it settles on something.

Won't be this weekend. Tomorrow I'm driving to NYC and staying at a hotel in The Bronx. Won't be back till Friday. Seems everyplace I wanted to stay was booked up or $500 a night; that ain't gonna happen. I have no idea how I'll be able to find a way to see Hyena, but I'm going to try. We'll see how it goes...

God, that's my favorite phrase, lately.


No comments: