Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, August 7, 2015

Another round of road trip...

Doing the New Haven, NYC, Washington DC tango, this time. Leaving Tuesday, back on Friday. I think on this trip I'm not going to listen to any radio. I want to start formulating the new structure for The Vanishing of Owen Taylor. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of beginning with the last e-mails Jake got from his uncle and how that leads into him having vanished. Then I can slop in some of the other information.

The only thing that bugs me about it is the symmetry of opening the story with a question -- "Jake, why do you stick with Antony?" and ending it with the answer. If I do that particular restructuring, I lose this. I haven't figured out a way around it, yet, but I'm still trying. Something else I lose is the set-up; what happens in the first chapter informs on the last one...

God, this makes my head spin. I want this book to work...but the opening is just too much info piled into too few pages. Maybe if I already have Jake worried because he can't contact Owen...hmm...

I wonder if this story would work better as a mini-series for Logo or Bravo? That'd be fun. More like funny. Imagine Chris Salvatore as Jake...he's the right age. So who'd be good for Antony? Got no idea. He needs to be younger than Jake, and I know Charlie David's older. I'm too out of the scene to know who'd be a good gay actor, now...and I would want real gay actors to play the roles.

Dammit, here I go again...

No comments: