Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Making plans is counter-productive...

I had it all laid out, today. I was overseeing a pick up from a storage facility and it looked really easy. 55 file storage boxes in decent shape, all to be built to a couple of pallets, wrapped in stretch film and taken back to the warehouse to be banded before being shipped across country. I called the freight company and told them the driver could come early if he wanted because I'd be ready. Then I figured I'd go back to the hotel and start work on transcribing corrections to OT.

So the driver showed up at noon...but with no pallets. We loaded the boxes onto his truck, loose, and I said I'd meet him at the warehouse in a couple hours to oversee the build. He had one stop left to make and I was hungry. I figured, fine, I can still work on OT afterwards.

I got to the warehouse a bit later than I intended...and he hadn't returned, yet. Didn't show for another 45 minutes. Then it took half an hour to get them to even assign someone to help me put the boxes on pallets. I got passed off to three people, and the last guy had no earthly idea what to do.

It took another hour and a half to build two pallets (which I did as my helper brought me the boxes), wrap them and band them, then label them and get the weights and dims. I wasn't done till nearly 5:30. I'd walked to the warehouse from the hotel so had to walk back. I didn't arrive till nearly 6:30 and I was exhausted.

Meaning...nothing got done on OT. Nothing at all. I brought my printout for no reason except to mock myself.

That's what I get for making plans.

1 comment:

Michael Dodd said...

I have been told to plan plans, not outcomes. Still, your experience sounds absurdly frustrating.