Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, January 3, 2016

BBT

I now have all 8 seasons of Big Bang Theory on DVD. Got 6, 7, & 8 for Christmas, along with some bland tea bags, a couple of gift cards, a hand-knitted cap, and homemade cookies. I also have a clean apartment, as my nose and eyes will attest to...seeing as how I stirred up a lot of dust, again. Guess I'm back on Zyrtek for a while.

I finished my quick red-pen pass through OT and will let it sit for a few days, then comes inputting the changes into my file as I do another look for ways to condense, and for typos. Found a few already that no one else noticed or bothered to mention. Mainly extra words, to my surprise. I think after this pass I may go through the chapters in reverse order to check for such things; that way I'm less likely to get caught up in the reading of it. I hope.

As if my job trying to get a script sold isn't already hard enough, apparently there are now screenplay algorithms that read your script and decide, based on their programming, whether or not your script is worthy of consideration. Seriously. One is called ScriptBook. It will read the script, print out a report of what works and what doesn't, discuss who the main characters are, and project how much to expect in revenue from it. Still in Beta phase, but ludicrous all the same.

I knew there were some like that checking out pitches and loglines to see if they fit with what the production company is seeking. Like specific words and phrases. That, apparently, is how a number of producers signed up with InkTip work when they view posted loglines, and I think that's what Amazon Studios is using...which may explain why my rejections were being sent at 1am. Only then do they decide if they will dig into your work further.

Wow..so much for film being an art...because you cannot make art by algorithmic committee.

No comments: