Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, March 19, 2019

En route home

I blew off JetBlue and grabbed a train back to Buffalo; no real cash loss, just points. I'm in what's called a roomette that's like a little office, with comfy seats, a table, a private toilet, pillows, power, and wifi. I even got a decent meal with it. Worth the $170. It's a nice ride, scenery wise, if a bit jumpy while traveling at high speeds...but it's very relaxing, with a 45 minute layover in Albany to stretch your legs.

I did office work on this leg of the journey -- naming photos I'd taken of the collection I packed and sorting out paperwork. I did a bit of web-surfing and back and fort on twitter, but that's about it. I may have another job in NYC but won't know about that for a while. I used some of today to go check it out.

This weekend is Oakland...and the client wanted the packing done on a weekend. So I'm flying in on Friday and returning on Monday. Nothing else lined up, after that, so I can finish shifting PM into a script and get it off. Then comes the sketches for the reading of A65. 

I'm going back and forth on the sketches...whether to do them in soft graphite or colored pencil. I'm also still shifting the images I've roughed out around, and I added another one, today. I may take out a couple that are just too quick to matter, as well. I'd do markers but I am so completely out of practice on that, I think it'd be a waste of time, and I don't want to mess with acrylics, right now.

BTW, this is the building I was working in, yesterday...on an upper floor with a great view of Central Park. It's a spooky building; the wind moans and calls like howling creatures of the night, thanks to the service elevator. The basement's entry stays open so every breeze zips in and up the shaft. I can't imagine living there with that sort of noise all the time.

But it's very high-end. I think the condo's been sold (probably for 8 figures) and that's why the valuable books had to be gotten out before the movers came to get the furniture. You don't dump a first edition of Gulliver's Travels in the same box with novels by Leon Uris or Tom Clancy.

It's just not right...

No comments: