Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, May 1, 2016

Recuperation

Just need to recharge my batteries after finally getting to the end of The Vanishing of Owen Taylor. Granted, I won't have the hard copy of the book till late next week, but that's fine. I've gone as far as I can with it and pretty much know I could easily work on it the rest of my life and would never be completely done. It's time to let it go and move on to my next project.

Since I already had the raw materials on my computer, I worked up a dust jacket for a hardcover edition...and I like it. But...I also updated my sales on my other books and find that 75% of them are e-book. I don't make a lot of money off them because I keep the price low -- probably another reason the ebooks sell so much better -- but it is reality. Seems the audience I reach is more iPad oriented than paper.

I'm trying an iPad out, myself. I inherited one and have spent part of the day hooking up to my WiFi and upgrading as best I can. It's more advanced than my MacBook so I can do banking on it; I can't on either of my other two computers and flat out refuse to on my phone. I'm also a twitter, now -- @kmswrites. I can do it on that instead of my phone, though that got hooked in, too. The i'Pad's nice and light, so maybe I'll shift some of the ebooks I have over to it and read them en route to San Francisco, next week.

I'll only be there for a couple days -- in Berkeley, actually. Packing up an archive. I got tantalizingly close to going to London to get another archive, but that wound up being too small to justify my expenses. Dammit.

I think the reason I so love London is I lived there as a child. My first three years of school were there, and I learned to love tea and rugby and fog and French and even dreary days. I still like to walk in the rain, of which there is a lot in the UK. Every time I've been there, I've felt like I was returning to one of my homes; my other is LA. San Antonio never was, even though I have family there and spent 25 years of my life in that town, much of it with my grandmother.

If we have lived past lives, I'm pretty sure mine was probably as a Cockney prostitute in Victorian London who wound up on a slow boat to California to work the circuit.

No comments: