Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, December 30, 2017

Getting there...

I'm now at more than 300 pages and just under 70,000 words but still have a fair amount to do to connect the end to the rest of the book. I don't think the final fight goes quite as anyone would expect, especially once the cops arrive. A lot is left unexplained, so I'll need to do a chapter for that...which I've begun. And I'll get to use my favorite line, so far -- "Devlin, who do you think you are -- a Padishah with his concubines?" Delivered in Tawfi's elegant English accent.

I'd like to think I'm doing a good job in writing of the story. I honestly don't know. I'll get feedback on it, as usual, but as of now it's my own impression telling me this, and I do like it. Which is usually a danger signal, for me.

One more day in this year and we begin anew. My hope for 2018 is very simple -- Czar Snowflake is out of office before my next birthday. Seven months till I hit 66 and start taking Social Security, if the Republicans haven't killed it, by then. If they do, they'd better fucking leave the country, because there will be more than anger at that. And I don't care how rich their buddies are, anybody can be killed. Anybody.

I never really thought of myself as bloodthirsty or even capable of wishing that on anyone, but watching this Congress has been a lesson in my own sense of fury. I was pissed off at Bush for invading a country that had done nothing to us...but this far outweighs that.

I honestly do not known what I'd do if I ever came face-to-face with Paul Ryan or Mitch McConnell. Spit on them? Slap them? Punch them in their fucking throats? I have no idea. I just know I despise them more than I do cockroaches. At least my next job's in Houston, not DC, so no temptations there.

Except for having decent BBQ.

No comments: