Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, December 15, 2017

UG continues...

I took the day off, slept until 11am and worked on Underground Guy most of the day. Didn't go out since I didn't need anything and it was snowing, and I've spent so much time traveling. I dug through to the point where Delvin is released by the cops, and stopped...because I don't know why that happens. Nor can I figure out why the lead investigator on the case -- a guy Dev refers to as Sir Monte -- asks a certain question.

I really can bedevil myself, at times, with what I write. Something comes out and I don't know why and suddenly the whole story is lopsided and in danger of being nonsensical, What's damning about this instance is, it's a perfectly logical question and one Devlin has no answer to. But Sir Monte insists on a satisfactory answer so Dev tries to make one up but it doesn't work. And it's driving me nuts, now,

I've read books other writers have written about their writing and I don't remember any of them having this issue. Some say they speak to the characters. Some say they let the story develop itself. Some say they work up a diagram and stick with it, no matter what. Steven King just harps on getting rid of adjectives. So is my manner of work really that bizarre? Am I the only one where it borders on insanity?

I honestly don't know. I just know I'm making a very erotic book about a very hideous situation trapped in very deep meaning, somewhere, and it's mocking me for not seeing it. Shit, I'm not D H Lawrence or Henry Miller. I don't have a command of English like they did. I'm probably closer to Marquis de Sade, just not as deep...and besides, he wrote in French.

Hell, maybe I was him in a former life and lost some of my intelligence in the rebirth...

No comments: