Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, September 6, 2018

Salesmanship is not my forte...

I've been casting around for new ideas on how to promote The Alice '65. So far everything comes with a price tag...$150 seems to be the average. Ads here, mail-outs there, e-blasts all over. One company does one-sheets geared to people who buy for libraries. Facebook and Twitter both want to boost my posts for various amounts of money, even though neither one has even begun to pay off on anything else I did through them.

I've considered doing the postcard thing, again, but that seems to get no traction, either. Book stores will offer it as a title they will order, but won't put it on their shelves. I've donated copies to libraries and to readers on Goodreads and BookDaily and gotten 2 whole reviews. I got it put into a librarians conference. I was going to ask a friend's daughter to do a review on her v-blog for books, but I got no response from anyone and now she's off to college.

I'm trying a new log-line for it.

After a family tragedy, Adam Verlain wanted nothing but a quiet life, and his job as a book cataloguer for a small London University was perfect for that. But then he was forced to travel to Los Angeles to pick up a rare copy of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland from the actress who inherited it, only she wouldn't give it to him unless he did her a favor, first. He agreed...and then she proceeded to turn his safe, secure world upside down.

Or would this be better?

After a family tragedy, Adam Verlain wanted a quiet life, and his job as a book cataloguer was perfect for that. Then he was sent to pick up a rare copy of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland from an actress, and his perfect world turned upside down. (It's my Twitter version.)

I'll start sending this out...maybe see if I can do some sort of flyer to mail. After that, I'm out of money and out of ideas. The book's been available for 6 months and I've sold 13 copies. Not good. Needless to say, JK Rowling I'm not.

Maybe I should submit for induction into Oprah's book club or for a Pulitzer in literature; that'd be a laugh...

No comments: