Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, September 30, 2018

UG is close...

I've finished what really amounts to a polish of Underground Guy. There was some shifting around of bits in the fist five chapters but overall it rolls along and builds the way I wanted it to. I'll need to input these adjustments and do another pass, just to be sure, but then it should be ready to go.

Something interesting is how Devlin got a bit harsher during this pass. And how he winds up taking even more responsibility for his actions. There's one bit at the very end where I'm not sure if I like how I'm working it...and may change it...but I like how it ends the story so I may leave it alone. Won't know till I return to it.

This is not a mainstream book, by any stretch of the imagination, so I doubt it will ever sell a lot of copies. It's a combination of mystery, suspense, character study and gay sex. Hardly NY Times kind of stuff. But that doesn't mean I'll let it slide on anything. It's going to have my name on it, so I want the book to be as solid as I can make it.

I may be fooling myself about this, but I don't care. I like what I wrote. Truth is, I'm fucking proud of sections of this book and how the mystery comes together at the end. I don't explain it; I show it...and have Devlin nearly killed in the middle of it. Of course, afterwards he puts his spin on it, but it's hardly like an Agatha Christie explanation.

If all goes well, I'll have it out in e-book by Thanksgiving. I'm trying to drum up interest in it by that time, just to see how that works, but who knows if anything I do will make a difference in sales. I'm hardly on the level of Random House or Simon & Schuster, but we shall see.

I'm going to let this sit to get some distance, again, and spend much of October working on a submission to a writing program at Universal Studios. I need to provide a screenplay, a treatment for a different screenplay, a personal narrative, a resume, 1-2 letters of recommendation, and an applications form, all for projects that have wide audience appeal while commenting on one's cultural perspective.

That's going to be a rough one...and probably a waste of time...but never let it be said I used my time wisely.

No comments: