Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, September 5, 2018

These words drive me nuts...

To Lay and To Lie drive me crazy. I'm never sure if I'm using the right one, unless I'm deliberately misusing them, so here are the rules I use and hope for the best...

(This was bastardized from a much much longer article on Printer Fabulous)

Choosing the correct forms of lay and lie is a big challenge. Without a doubt, they are the two most difficult irregular verbs. The problem is that when we speak, we frequently misuse them. As a result, our ears are used to hearing incorrect forms. So when we spot a wrong form while we are proofreading, it sounds right.

Know the solution.

How do you use lay and lie correctly? First, you must know the definition of each verb.

Definition of Lay
Lay means to put something [or someone] down. Because lay is a transitive verb, a direct object will come after it. A direct object receives the action of the verb. Read this example:

Before returning to the Godzilla marathon on late night TV, Quentin laid his sleeping son Jeremy on the bed and covered him with a quilt.
Quentin laid whom on the bed? Jeremy.

Definition of Lie
Lie, on the other hand, means to rest or recline. Lie is an intransitive verb, so no direct object will follow.

The center of Diane's bed always smells like dog because Reliable, her beagle, lies there every chance he gets.
What is Reliable doing in the middle of the bed? Resting.

Once you know which meaning you need, you have to choose the correct verb form...and then comes insanity. I refuse to go there, so I use the words as little as possible.

Thank God for the man who invented the Thesaurus.

No comments: