Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, April 7, 2012

A good day for writing

After working most of the day on OT, adding in just under 3000 words, I totaled up my page count. I'm at 89 pages. About 20,000 words, total. I can't believe it. Some of it's repetition and some will probably no longer be needed, but it's still a major start on this book. Effectively speaking, I could easily be a solid fourth of the way through it.

I did just discover that Palm Springs closed their jail and now uses the one in Indio, which is just down the 10 from there. That'll need to be changed in the story. So will other details to match up. But the book is rocketing along, all of a sudden, and the resolution has taken a sudden turn for the "OH MY GOD!" I think.

I'm actually having fun writing this book...which may be a bad sign. that usually means I'm messing up someplace; I don't know. And in fact, I don't care. I just know watching Jake do his thing with people is joyous for me.

Y'know, I've only been to Palm Springs once, and I wasn't all that impressed with it. The place was crowded, overpriced, and blistering hot -- so much so, many storefronts had mists of water going in front of them so passersby could feel a bit cooler. Talk about a major waste; no wonder Southern California's dying of thirst.

Of course, it's the same in Arizona, where Phoenix has exploded with people who seem intent on having green yards and flowers and swimming pools open to the sun even as the area becomes more and more arid and the temperatures continue to rise. It's insane.

One thing about Buffalo -- the place is surrounded by enough water to keep them going for centuries. Lake Erie to the west, Lake Ontario to the north, rivers and streams and smaller lakes all over. It's a much more livable space, even in the winter.

No comments: