Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

I need an intern

Someone who'll take care of the mundane day-to-day crap that needs taking care of and leave me to write or whatever. I'm easy to feed, so the cooking will be minimal. Dusting's good. Paying bills and sorting files is even better. And you don't have to pay interns if you set it up right with a college; they just get credit.

Hm...isn't that the definition of a slave? I may be liberal, but I'm lazy enough to want to be cared for, especially if it's someone cute who's doing the caring. Guess that also makes me salacious...or a dirty old man. I could live with that.

But I have to wonder -- just how many college kids can balance a checkbook? I've run into some who can't even wrap their heads around the principle of ATMs and cash available not meaning what they're being told. By that, I mean they go to an ATM, check the balance, see they have $400 in the account so take out $200 for a party night, not taking into account that they just sent out $350 in checks for bills. So those checks will come in and once the remaining $200 is gone, they'll bound and fees will be added on and they'll think the bank is being mean to them.

I tried to explain that, once, to a blond wanna-be model and she said something like, "Don't be ridiculous. I wrote the checks on the money that was in there. It's not my fault that the bank wants to take out more than I have."

Who can argue with that logic?

And would you be surprised to know she wound up being a supporter of the Tea Party? That group seems to thrive on misinformation and bad math, not to mention showering blame on everyone except rich white men. They really don't see how the right wing is doing everything it can to destroy 100 years of human progress in this country.

Hm, that's something else an Intern would be good for -- freeing me up to rant even more about the stupidity of the right wing scum out to ruin the US. I think I'll drop by U Buffalo over the weekend and post a note on the board. See if I can get a cute guy who's willing to clean like Hazel, will cook like my grandmother, and won't mind me petting them like a cat.

Dammit, I am a dirty old man.

No comments: