Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, April 2, 2012

If you gotta cook...

This weekend I'm making enchiladas. I'm tired of the piss-ant Mexican food they have in this region -- mainly meaning NONE -- and while mine aren't greasy enough to pass for Tex-Mex, they'll suffice. I do a very rich, very savory Mexican rice, too...using Rice-a-roni as the base. It's a major mess of a meal, and to do it right I usually wind up with 5 days worth of food, but it's time.

I'm also going to try my hand at a Shepherd's pie...though that's not as high a priority. I'll be grabbing a pretty decent one down by Rockefeller Center in about 10 days. Still, I found an interesting recipe that starts from scratch. The best way.

It's funny, but a few people I've met who are from Buffalo (I've run into them in LA, Washington DC, NYC, you name it) all said the two main things to do in this town are eat and drink. I don't drink enough to qualify for the latter, so it looks like I'm settling into the former. Eat and write, that's me, now.

But this new rhythm to my world seems to make me more open to shifts and ideas in my characters and stories. Sometimes they freak me out. Sometimes they make such sense, I wonder why it took me so long to find them. Sometimes they're so stupid, I have to wonder at myself. And sometimes...sometimes they connect with something deep inside me and I start to weep. Not cry, just...tear up to the point I have to wipe my eyes, because a moment of truth just got revealed to me.

That happened last night as I was working on OT. Something popped up in the ending chapter that changed it to the chapter that's next to the end, because I want to follow it through. And it all stems from Antony connecting with a Koala bear. I don't know where it came from, and it wouldn't seem to make sense being a story set in Copenhagen and a community by Palm Springs, but it's so right...I know it'll never change. And if I say any more, I'll give it away.

Looks like I've found my meaning in life -- serving my characters.

No comments: