Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, October 18, 2022

As expected...

In honor of National Novel Writing Month starting on November 1st and me having the audacity to think I should write a new novel in 30 days, from actual scratch instead of adjusting a screenplay into book form, I now have 3 packing jobs lined up. Two I drive to, one I fly to. 

It's not as if this has never happened before; in fact, it's every damned year except the last two, thanks to Covid, and in the past it's been flying to Hong Kong to handle the China in Print Fair. Which is no more, thanks to China's near destruction of Hong Kong as a free port. Which was why I helped myself along by using script that I'd already written or had abandoned as the outlines of the books I would write. 

I've been doing it since 2007, missing one year and not completing one year, but eight of the books I did with NaNoWriMo are published. Which is pretty good. So this year I aimed to begin with the outline of a story and see what came of it. It's titled Robert's Wife.

It's about a guy named Robert, of course, who kills his wife when he finds out she's cheating on him then goes after her lover, intending to kill him, as well. Instead, he finds his wife alive and well, freaks out, kills her, again, and runs off. The lover is actually her husband and Robert was imagining he was married to her. He has a nervous breakdown and is institutionalized. Meanwhile, the real husband is accused of hilling his wife, tried and found guilty. His sister believes in him but her investigations get nowhere...and he is about to be executed for it.

I may need to make this a period piece, because it's set in Beverly Hills and California does not have the death penalty. I suppose I could work it up in Houston, since Texas has already executed at least one provably innocent man and possibly two, but not sure about that. The outline is years old and I just happened upon it, recently.

I guess I'll wait and see what happens on November 1st.

No comments: