Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Darian's Point, Vol. One - The Beginning

I'm not going to do Robert's Wife for NaNoWriMo. I'm going to work on the very first part of Darian's Point, which I have not written but only outlined. This is my Irish horror story about harpies that live in the Cliffs of Moher and come out during storms to feed on fish in the sea. Except every 100 years, a young man is sacrificed to them as part of a pact they made with the Clan Ui Briuin 30 Centuries ago.

I wrote a screenplay for part of the story many, many years ago and won awards for it. Almost got it sold. That part was set in 1910, when the harpies break the pact and try to kill the last man in the Ui Briuin line. I almost got it sold and produced. Had a director who liked it. Producers at a company that had development deals with Irish production houses and funding pushed for it. But it got turned down by the head of the company because he already had an Irish script and didn't want another one. That's how arbitrary film can be.

I wrote a followup, set in modern times, where the last young man in the Ui Briuin bloodline suffers a catastrophic loss and decides to kill himself by jumping off the Moher Cliffs. But things don't exactly go that way, and he decided to face his demons. Literally. So those two parts just need to be novelized.

In each one, the story of how the harpies were formed is told, but each time it's a bit different...and not really correct. My thought was to bring them out in reverse order. The modern one, first, then the 1910 one, then the original showing what actually happened is very little like the stories passed down through time. I may, still.

I'm only able to do this because I will be done with this draft of APoS by the end of October. My jobs in NY state and NYC are set, still, but they're looking to be fairly easy. It's just the driving in the first one that will be a chore. Still...I'm feeling good about it.

No comments: