Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, July 1, 2010

4 day weekend

Been a while since I had one of those outside of being unemployed. But the business is shut down, officially, till Tuesday, though phone calls are being forwarded to me. Dunno how I feel about that, yet, since I'm still in the wilderness as regards knowing how things run...but I'll do what I can.

I have a photograph of Derry I photocopied off a book years and years ago that shows the city in 1984. It's dark and in black & white, so many aspects are difficult to see, but so many details still are very clear. The width of the Foyle River at the Craigavon Bridge and how the opposite shore grows closer on the north edge of downtown, making you wonder why they didn't build the bridge where the river was at its narrowest, like they did the Foyle Bridge up where the river tightens till it reaches Lough Foyle and the North Atlantic. (Of course, that's proving to be a mistake since during storms they have to shut it down; seems the winds get so fierce, they can push cars over the edge).

Anyway, this photograph informs my vision of Derry upon Brendan's return after so many years, two months into his 25th year. The Foyle Bridge has just begun construction. Bobby Sands is on hunger strike along with a few other men. The peace movement is pushing hard against the growing control of criminals in both the Catholic and Protestant paramilitaries. I'm still struggling to find the proper combination of these spices to make the story come alive, but it's working its way around. A half-step here, a shuffle there, a movement left and a lean right.

Hm...I think I need to add a moment where Brendan first has his sister, Mairead's cooking. Have him compare it to his Aunt Mari's and the fattening food of Texas. Will it be good or bad? I honestly won't know till he tastes it...and then goes out for fish and chips with his baby brother, Kieran, who won't like it...even if just on principle.

Guess I'll add a dash of peppermint. I do that with my potato soup and it gives it an very off-beat flavor, mixing with the ham I use. Dammit...now I'm hungry, again.

No comments: