Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Back to earth

Dealing with credit reporting agencies, today, and various other nonsense, so I'm back to feeling moody. Two of the main ones are no trouble...but this third one is like sparring with spawn of the devil. No matter what information I give them, it's not enough unless I can provide a pin number that's buried in my things in San Antonio. I finally gave up and will handle it tomorrow. I guess I should be happy it's so hard to get to my information, but y'know, if I know my father's middle name and maternal grandmother's first name as well as which cards I have and how much I owe on them, you'd think they'd see I'm not exactly a worm trying to get into the apple of my credit info. *sigh*

Good news is, a script I did a rewrite on is in the quarterfinals at the Page International Screenwriting Awards. It's a rewrite of a young man's experiences in the NYPD between 1968 and 1973, told in a non-linear style, and the guy I did it for so liked it, he entered it. It'll be fun to see if it gets to the next stage; I've found my non-linear writing is hard for readers to deal with unless they're in the right frame of mind.

I'm pretty much done with that article I'm writing about storage and shipment of antiquarian books, and I've inked in all the sketches; now I just need to scan them and double check my details in the article to make sure I'm not being dyslexic in my suggestions...which I have done before.

I remember in an early early draft of "Darian's Point," I confused William of Orange with the man he deposed off the throne of England, King James. Irish Catholics hate "King Billy" because he was Protestant, Dutch and hated Catholics while King James was a Catholic. It was James' loss at the Battle of the Boyne that solidified England's rule over Ireland for the next 240 years. And I had my lead male, Thomas, refer to William with respect. Not cool. I'm the only one who noticed and I corrected it in the next draft...but it was still embarrassing.

So now I triple check everything...and still miss things, sometimes. There's days where I wonder if I wonder if I have any brain left.

No comments: